Firstly I find the culture very interesting; having read about the very grisley and violent way the Spanish conquered parts of South America I am surprised to see so many Spanish football team shirts being worn and Catholicism being the religion of choice for 80% or more of the population. This sits side by side with streets, plazas and statues being named to commemorate generals of the armies that drove the Spanish out and to recognise the dates of their independence. I also feel that I should read more about the British and their colonies and how they treated then too now I know more about the Spanish methods.... I hope we weren't the same, slightly embarrassed that I don't know! I also need to read up on more recently history and politics of the South American region.
Ecuador and Peru are both very colourful countries; yellow buildings, brightly coloured cloth, stripy table cloths and hats. The people are friendly and food is a great focus socially. Lots of rice, corn, plantain and bananas, loads of different sorts of potatoes. Interesting and enormous fruits adorn the markets and meat ranges from lots of chicken to guinea pig and llama. Fish near the sea covered in lime; which gets added to lots of dishes!
In terms of drinks we've mostly stuck to local beer; light lager. Brahma from Brazil is by far the cheapest bizarrely. After a particularly pricey night on Pisco sours in Cuzco I have stayed away from the popular cocktail. Tried Ecuadorian and Peruvian red wines and to be honest not been that impressed; roll on Argentina :) the bright yellow Inka Cola served as the more popular alternative to Coka Cola in Peru is like a cross between root beer and cream soda; the South American sweet tooth! Yet to try Chicha; the inka's sacred fermented corn drink but have dried a very refreshing sweet non alcoholic version made from the purple corn; very good it is too.
What I am surprised about is the prices. If you go to a market or more local place for food it can be very cheap and there are deals to be had on food, drink and clothes etc. However if you want anything branded; Oakley sunglasses, nike trainers, technical outdoor gear etc, it is the same price or higher than in the UK; which is frankly extortionate for someone earning the average wage here. The petrol is more pricey than the UK too; which is explains the low numbers of private cars.
On a more personal note; there are a few further thoughts.
- blue eyes don't work which this level of equatorial sunshine. I literally can't see without sunglasses during the day, no matter how cloudy. Also I burn in anything less than factor 50
- I am getting more used to the slightly disorganised and random approach that people work to here. Hotels, restaurants, bars, shops etc all run at their own pace. It's a nice change from London where everything is quick, and therefore often impersonal. But you can't expect to be on time or to rush here.
- My Spanish is improving but not as quickly as I would like. I am proficient in shop, restaurant, tourist and hotel situations; but struggling to find opportunities to improve in other areas.
- I am so indebted to my Cinnarizine travel sickness tablets. Boats trips, night busses and small plane journeys would just not be possible without them!
- I am also trying to place where Matt and I are on the hippy to tourist spectrum; we are aiming for somewhere in the middle around "traveller" but who knows! Definitely can't pass for locals :)
No comments:
Post a Comment